Search

Content

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Finalising Designs












After several days of experimentation, I had decided upon two favourite designs to choose between for my final garment. My garment is to be a two-piece set, with a high neck sleeveless crop top and matching A-line skirt.

The first of my designs draws upon the hand-painting element I had experimented with early on. My woodblock design is to be printed in black upon a cream silk/rayon fabric with embedded gold flecks throughout it. It would then be hand painted with the dye concentrates in oranges and pinks to create a pomegranate-like colour. I could also do the same with a leaf motif block, belonging to Fiona's studio. This would be painted in orange and could serve as a coordinate print to my original woodblock design. 

Instead of a flat solidarity in colour that is produced commercially, my fabric will have differing concentrations dispersed unevenly – giving it the unique, hand painted quality.

The second is a combination of my own woodblock design with several of Fiona’s existing blocks. Firstly a background of spots is applied in orange. These spots are already irregular in their shape and size but will then be applied in different directions, overlapping one another so the spots become seemingly random. Then my woodblock is printed on top in black. Using a two-piece botanical woodblock of Fiona’s, I constructed a stenciled border to accompany the print. Utilizing positive and negative space, the border becomes a reverse of the main print. The background is printed first in orange, which blocks out the entire space, then the black outline is printed on top.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Search This Blog